CAP sales technique
The CAP technique is a simple, straightforward way of selling identical products or services on a regular basis, without having to know the person you’re talking to like other customer-centric techniques. It’s a structured argument based on the product’s technical features and the benefits they provide. The CAP technique Every salesperson knows that you shouldn’t […]
The CAP technique is a simple, straightforward way of selling identical products or services on a regular basis, without having to know the person you’re talking to like other customer-centric techniques. It’s a structured argument based on the product’s technical features and the benefits they provide.
The CAP technique
- Product technical data
Every salesperson knows that you shouldn’t sell a product’s technical features, but its benefits. Nevertheless, in some cases, the buyer may doubt what the seller is telling him, and this is where the CAP technique is perfectly suited.
The advantages of CAP technology
Proof is particularly relevant for skeptical buyers who distrust the seller and believe that the benefits are too great to be true.
Trade shows, fairs and conventions lend themselves to this technique.
This sales technique is simple to apply, requires no knowledge of the customer, and is ideal for technical sales people who know their product inside out.
The technique is more product-centric than customer-centric, and its use can become quite mechanical.
The advantages should not be confused with the benefits of the CAB sales technique, whose B stands for benefits.
- The benefits are generic
- Benefits represent what the customer will gain from the purchase.
CAP is simple and quick to apply, but less effective than the SOS technique for complex sales.
Examples of use
- Feature: variable-speed windshield wiper
- Advantages: wiper speed can be adjusted according to the amount of rainfall
- Proof: here’s a video, or you can try it out for yourself.
- Characteristic: the cream has finer molecules than other creams.
- Advantage: it penetrates deeper into your skin to protect it
- Proof: take a look at this scientific study and watch this video explaining how the cream works.
- Characteristic: investment in renewable energies
- Advantage: exceptional financial return on investment
- Proof: look at the revenue curves for identical investments in renewable energies.
The conditions for effective sales growth
You need to know exactly what your product’s features and benefits are, and above all how to demonstrate their effectiveness. The technique is particularly well suited to technical sales staff.